Monday, December 17, 2012

Sandy Hook Elementary School

It's been a few days and I am still having trouble coming to terms with what happened in Newton, CT on Friday morning. Living in today's society I feel as is I have come to be somewhat desensitized to the horrible things that seemingly happen everyday in our world. Perhaps it's my coping mechanism that allows me to go on with my everyday life. These past few months and years have been filled with all sorts of horrible atrocities but none of these things have affected me in the way the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School have. Perhaps it's because so many of my friends have kids now or that I hope to someday as well. Whatever the reason I am in complete disbelief and can not really comprehend how someone, no matter how sick or twisted, could look in the eyes of a 5 year old and shoot 20 of them without hesitation. These past few days, every time I see a small child laughing and playing with their families I find myself fighting to hold back tears and thinking about how 20 families will be without their children, brothers and sisters these holidays. I also mourn the teachers and adults who also lost their lives on Friday, hearing the stories of their bravery gives me hope for humanity.  Things like this really make me realize just how precious life, family and friends are.

I am not going to sit here and debate gun control laws. I know the 2nd amendment grants the right to bear arms. I just do not think that when the amendment was written they were referring to automatic assault riffles that allow you to possibly kill hundreds in mere minutes. I also have a hard time understanding why anyone outside of the militia or perhaps law enforcement need them. The sad fact is that Friday's incident was not just about gun control, it's also about the sad state of the mental health systems in place in our country. People are often not able to get the help they need because of the cost of treatment or medicine, and often people are not forced to get the help they need because it's almost impossible to commit someone. I think as a country we need to set aside our differences, especially in DC, and work together to somehow find a way to make this country a better, safer place not only for ourselves but for our children and their children someday. How many of these atrocities have to happen before things change.

I have been so out of it I have not even really been able to watch football, go on twitter or really even write much on this blog. It all seems so trivial and petty. I never imagined a day where I would say I was not in the mood to watch football.

I did manage to come across this gem from the opening of SNL last weekend. It really is a perfect and poignant tribute to everyone who lost their life much too soon in Newton. Silent Night sung by the amazing New York City Children's Choir.

                                       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTbhVlHuONo

No comments:

Post a Comment